Physics Van 3-site Navigational Menu

Physics Van Navigational Menu

Q & A: Why dont we get shock when we touch the inverter batteries?

Learn more physics!

Most recent answer: 02/09/2010
Q:
Why dont we get shock when we touch the inverter batteries...I mean when we touch an AC source we get high shock because it has high voltage of 220 volts.....But an inverter which has DC source has less voltage...But the same DC source makes the instruments which work on AC to work with the same brightness and frequenc...But even though that DC source makes such high voltage instruments to work then why dont we get shocks as an AC source gives shock...
- Prudhvi Raj Borra (age 16)
Machilipatnam,Andhra Pradesh,India`
A:
It's a matter of the voltage. The inverter input battery voltage, around 12 Volts DC,  is not enough to cause much current to flow through normal high resistance skin. However the output of the inverter is alternating current of 220 Volts (110 in the US).  That is enough to shock you.

LeeH

 

(published on 02/09/2010)

Follow-up on this answer.