Physics Van 3-site Navigational Menu

Physics Van Navigational Menu

Q & A: Reverse Sublimation

Learn more physics!

Most recent answer: 02/17/2008
What is the process called when a gas turns into a solid?
- Daniel (age 12)
Bacup and Rawtenstall Grammar School. England,
Daniel -

When a solid turns directly into a gas, it is called "sublimation." When a gas turns directly into a solid, it is called "reverse sublimation."


(published on 10/22/2007)

Follow-Up #1: Sublime thoughts on sublimation

I seem to have in the back of my mind, somewhere near the tip of my tongue, a specific word, not just 'reverse sublimation' for the reverse of sublimation. But my memory isn't working well enough to recall that specific word for me. Do you know the word I am looking for? Please tell.
- Christopher Game (age 65)
Melbourne Australia
I think 'reverse sublimation' is just fine.   There is another term that is used, for example in formation of frost, called 'deposition'.   Take your pick; everyone will understand.


(published on 02/17/2008)

Follow-up on this answer.