Physics Van 3-site Navigational Menu

Physics Van Navigational Menu

Q & A: Touching a magnet to an electrical A/C outlet

Learn more physics!

Most recent answer: 10/03/2009
Q:
What would someone feel if they approached and then touched a magnet to an electrical A/C outlet wiring, will the person be electrocuted or what would they feel by this? thank you
- Frank (age 30)
Orlando, FL, USA
A:
Don't do it!  Most magnets are pretty good electrical conductors and as such will give you a shock if you touch one to an AC outlet.  If you approach an outlet with a magnet in your hand but don't actually let the magnet touch it you should feel nothing.

LeeH

(published on 10/03/2009)

Follow-up on this answer.