Physics Van 3-site Navigational Menu

Physics Van Navigational Menu

Q & A: microwave rust

Learn more physics!

Most recent answer: 08/10/2016
Q:
I ingested old microwave rust(inside microwave). Is is harmful?
- Lexus Cruise (age 46)
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
A:

There's no particular reason to think that rust from inside a microwave is any different from other rust. The microwave radiation itself doesn't leave anything bad in the metal. Pure rust is just oxidized iron, which won't hurt you. Other elements could be present, however, in the metal, and we have no way of knowing if any of the ones in your microwave were toxic. Personally, I would find other things to worry about, but that's just my opinion.

Mike W.


(published on 08/10/2016)

Follow-up on this answer.