Physics Van 3-site Navigational Menu

Physics Van Navigational Menu

Q & A: Non-Newtonian Fluids II

Learn more physics!

Most recent answer: 10/22/2007
Q:
I am doing a report on non-Newtonian fluids. I saw your answer to the other question on non-Newtonian fluids, but it doesnít tell me about the fluids themselves. How do they work? Why do they behave the way they do, instead of like Newtonian fluids? What is the difference that changes them? Thanks for any help you can give me.
why people cheat marriage affairs how many people cheat
the best android phone link phone tracking apps
married woman looking to cheat My wife cheated on me most women cheat
diprolene go furosemide 40mg
finasteride zithromax cialis 80mg
viagra coupons from manufacturer liberitutti.info drug discount coupons
viagra coupons free softballspa.com drug coupons
pfizer coupons for viagra viagra coupon viagra discounts coupons
discount prescriptions coupons printable cialis coupon internet drug coupons
lisinopril and energy drinks lisinopril and energy drinks lisinopril and energy drinks
prescription drug coupons cialis coupons from lilly drug coupon
drug discount coupons link discount coupons for prescriptions
coupons for prescriptions mha.dk drug prescription card
naprosyn roche rileytech.net naprosyn nedir
champix alkohol mdwguide.com champix
fusidinezuur kopen go fusidic acid
flibanserin online lasertech.com flibanserin buy
sildenafil pfizer link sildenafil sandoz
cialis open cialis walgreen coupon
renovacija stanovanja renovator renova g
lasix injetavel lasix efeitos colaterais lasix
voltaren retard voltaren forte voltaren spray
trental cena link trental nuspojave
vivitrol alcohol vivitrol implant narcan challenge

- Megan (age 15)
Mt Si High School, Wa, USA
A:
Hi Megan,

Excellent question! As you read in the other , a non-Newtonian fluid is a fluid whose viscosity depends on the force applied (and sometimes time as well) and therefore has very interesting mechanical properties. Non-Newtonian fluids get pretty complicated, and Iím no expert on fluid dynamics (so this should all be taken with a grain of salt), but hereís an explanation for one type of non-Newtonian fluid which I think is pretty good.

You can easily make a non-Newtonian fluid by mixing cornstarch and water together until they form a syrupy mixture. If you stir it around slowly, it will flow like a thick liquid, but if you move it suddenly or poke it very hard and very fast, it will feel like a solid! When you mix the cornstarch and water, you create a colloidal suspension, which means that on the microscopic level, you have a bunch of solid particles floating around and suspended in a liquid. Because your cornstarch/water mix is very thick, the particles of cornstarch floating around in the water are packed very close to each other (so that they are actually touching), but they are still able to slip past each other. This is what happens when you move the mixture slowly -- the suspended particles have time to move and slowly slip past each other, so the mixture acts like a liquid that can easily flow. However, when you suddenly poke the mixture, the particles do not have enough time to move out of the way (they are fairly massive), so they stay where they are and the mixture feels like a solid. (This is probably a somewhat simplified picture of what is actually happening, but is hopefully a useful way to think about it).

Quicksand is another example of a non-Newtonian fluid and it works much like the cornstarch/water mixture -- instead of cornstarch particles floating in water, there are individual grains of sand suspended in water. This is why if you ever fall in a pit of quicksand, you should slowly try to swim out instead of violently thrashing around. If you move slowly, the quicksand will act like a liquid and you will be able to get out, but if you move around very quickly, the quicksand will act like a solid and you will get stuck!

I hope this helps! For a more detailed explanation and some more terminology, check out .
best android spy apps to spy on phones how to spy on an android phone
coupons rx prostudiousa.com www.januvia.com coupons
levaquin pill cephalexin 250mg furosemide pill
prescription drugs discount cards link coupons for viagra printable
viagra coupons from manufacturer open drug discount coupons
1 wk pregnant abortion pill article on abortion
cialis dosage and go cialis dose for copd pts
viagra bestellen online viagra online shop pillen kopen
cialis price online lipseysguns.com cialis price history
prescription drug coupons codesamples.in drug coupon
cialis coupon card eblogin.com cialis coupons from manufacturer
discount prescription drug cards nationalautocare.com prescription discounts cards
naproxennatrium site naproxen migraine
proscar vs propecia for hair loss proscar pris proscar pris
fluvoxamine (luvox) blog.tgworkshop.net fluvoxamina bula
cefdinir red stool ski-club-auringen.de cefdinir nedir
trental cena trental trental nuspojave
trental cena trenitalia trental nuspojave

(published on 10/22/2007)

Follow-up on this answer.