Physics Van 3-site Navigational Menu

Physics Van Navigational Menu

Q & A: Tribology: the Study of Friction

Learn more physics!

Most recent answer: 10/22/2007
what do we call the study of friction?
- david (age 15)
west palm beach
David -

My first thought at this question was that there's no way that anyone would have a word just for friction. But as a loyal researcher I did some looking and found just that. And the word is "tribology". Tribology is the science of 'interacting surfaces in relative motion'. It includes the study of friction, wear, lubrication, etc.

(Thanks to the for knowing more than I do.)


(published on 10/22/2007)

Follow-up on this answer.