Physics Van 3-site Navigational Menu

Physics Van Navigational Menu

Q & A: anti-centrifuge?

Learn more physics!

Most recent answer: 12/31/2012
Q:
After gaining a good understanding of how a centrifuge works, this leaves me stumped. Put a handful of sand in a bucket of water. Slosh it around in a circle until you have a good vortex going. Then let it sit. Why does the more dense sand gather in the center, and not the outside edge?
the best android phone how to spy on cell phones phone tracking apps
walgreens coupons deals blog.mrwade.co.uk walgreens photo print coupons
discount card prescription damske.com print cvs
rite aid prescription transfer coupon open coupon rite aid
rite aid prescription transfer coupon mesutcakir.com.tr coupon rite aid
diprolene go furosemide 40mg
priligy 30mg go cialis 40mg
ventolin 2mg bistromc.org deltasone 40mg
viagra coupons from manufacturer liberitutti.info drug discount coupons
viagra coupons free read drug coupons
viagra coupons free read drug coupons
lisinopril and energy drinks lisinopril and energy drinks lisinopril and energy drinks
acheter viagra pas acheter viagra pas acheter viagra pas
cialis price online lipseysguns.com cialis price history
cialis coupons from lilly prescription drug cards coupons for prescriptions
cialis coupon lilly blog.nvcoin.com transfer prescription coupon
coupons for prescriptions open drug prescription card
proscar vs propecia for hair loss proscar proscar pris
singulair 4 mg granulat site singulair patient information

- Andrew Watt (age 39)
Jacksonville, Fl
A:
That's a great question.

The only plausible explanation [but now, see below] I've seen runs as follows.  The water is nearly stationary near the middle of the bucket. Any sand that happens to be there can fall quietly to the bottom. Near the edges, the flow can be fast enough to stir things up, so that the sand there doesn't settle until it happens to get closer to the middle..

If this explanation is right, for a very slowly swirling bucket, with smooth flow (no turbulence, no stirring) there should be some normal centrifugal effect and not this reverse effect. Since nothing would be stirred I guess you'd do the measurement by sprinkling the sand in from the top.

Let us know how it comes out, because we really aren't sure about this.

Mike W.
hillcrest abortion clinic stories of abortion live abortion video
married men cheat with men why husbands cheat wifes cheat
types of abortions the weeks of pregnancy what happens when you get an abortion
walgreens coupons deals free grocery coupons walgreens photo print coupons
diprolene go furosemide 40mg
levaquin pill internetsellout.com furosemide pill
levitra pill imitrex 25mg tadalafil pill
new prescription coupon viagra coupons printable prescription coupon card
coupons for prescriptions floridafriendlyplants.com prescription drugs discount cards
pfizer coupons for viagra viagra coupon viagra discounts coupons
viagra bestellen online viagra online shop pillen kopen
cialis price online open cialis price history
cialis manufacturer coupon cialis discounts coupons prescription drug coupons
drug discount coupons link discount coupons for prescriptions
cialis open cialis walgreen coupon
buscopan hund buscopan wirkung buscopan dragees
renovacija stanovanja renovator renova g
voltaren retard link voltaren spray
vivitrol alcohol what is vivitrol shot narcan challenge

(published on 06/04/2009)

Follow-Up #1: sand in water bucket

Q:
You have a topic/question entitled anti-centrifuge which found after I asked a similar question. I just found an answer on Robert Krampf's website(http://thehappyscientist.com) His answer goes as follows (but I am wondering if it makes sense).I simply don't know. If you would review it and if it makes sense confirm and explain it (especially his pressure references)a little better I would appreciate it. Last time, I left you with a challenge. We put a little sand into a glass of water and stirred it. Instead of moving to the outside edge, as we might expect, the sand gathered in the center of the glass. I left you with the challenge of telling me why. Congratulations! Several of you got the right answer, and several more got it at least partially right. So, why does the sand do that? Lets investigate by stirring the water again. As you stir the water, notice what happens to its surface. The water rises along the edges of the glass, and a depression forms in the center. The faster you stir, the higher it gets at the edges, and the lower the depression gets in the center. This change in the surface is caused by inertia. The moving water will try to continue moving in the same direction, forcing it against the side of the glass. That increases the water pressure there, and forces the water up the side of the glass. The highest water pressure will be along the sides of the glass, and the lowest water pressure will be in the center. Keep stirring, but look at the sand instead of the water. While you are stirring, the sand is suspended in the water, and is flung outwards, as you would expect. It is only when the grains of sand fall to the bottom that they move towards the center. Now, think about what is different at the bottom of the glass. The bottom of the glass, right? That water is touching the solid, stationary surface of the bottom of the glass, instead of being surrounded by moving liquid. The water tends to stick to that stationary surface, producing a layer water at the very bottom of the glass that spins more slowly than the rest of the water. Now we have a layer of water at the very bottom that is spinning slower. Because it is moving slower, it has less inertia pushing it outwards, which gives us a thin layer of water with lower pressure along the bottom. So we have high pressure along the sides of the glass, except at the very bottom, which has low pressure. The water flows from high pressure to lower pressure, moving inward along the bottom towards the center, carrying any sand that is resting on the bottom with it. Once it reaches the center, the water moves upwards to the low pressure area in the center of the glass. The sand is left behind, piled up in the center. I'll leave you with something to think about. What could you do to cause the sand to move from the center and form a ring around the outside of the bottom? Have a wonder-filled week.
why people cheat marriage affairs how many people cheat
internet drug coupons open prescription coupon
prescription drugs discount cards blog.plazacutlery.com coupons for viagra printable
viagra coupon card blog.brunothalmann.com viagra free coupon
coupons prescriptions blog.brunothalmann.com manufacturer coupons for prescription drugs
discount prescriptions coupons printable cialis coupon internet drug coupons
diabetes affect sexuality open diabetes sexuality treatment
cialis coupon card open cialis coupons from manufacturer
voltaren ára go voltaren
champix alkohol click champix
seroquel 25 mg click seroquel debljanje
renovacija stanovanja blog.myexpensesonline.co.uk renova g
cialis coupon card evans.com.mx cialis coupon
prescriptions coupons emergent-ventures.com drug prescription card
trental cena link trental nuspojave

- Kimball Clark
Gallipolis, OH USA
A:
This is quite a different explanation than the one we'd seen before. For the time being, I'll just put it up here as something we can all think about. It has important elements that were missing from our previous answer.
Something may be missing from this explanation too.  I suspect that it's important that the outer walls are not turning, so the outer edge of the water isn't turning fast, which probably creates a net flow outward in the rapidly spinning top, which helps drive an inward flow at the bottom.

Experimentally, it would be good to get water stirred in a glass, then put a few drops of dye in to see whether this flow pattern (out near the top, in toward the bottom) really is there.

Mike W.

cheater read wifes who cheat
cheater click wifes who cheat
married woman looking to cheat go most women cheat
diprolene go furosemide 40mg
viagra coupons free softballspa.com drug coupons
prescription discount coupons free prescription drug cards viagra discount coupons online
discount prescriptions coupons pet prescription discount card internet drug coupons
manufacturer coupons for prescription drugs online viagra coupons coupon prescription
can i take minocycline with birth control read can i take minocycline with birth control
cialis manufacturer coupon link prescription drug coupons
cialis coupon lilly coupons for cialis printable transfer prescription coupon
prescription drug coupons cialis coupons from lilly drug coupon
discount prescription drug cards nationalautocare.com prescription discounts cards
venlafaxine gewichtstoename read venlafaxine fk
kamagra wikipedia kamagra jelly kamagra shop
ibuprofen rapid ibuprofen spc ibuprofen
ibuprofen rapid ibuprofen spc ibuprofen
seroquel 25 mg site seroquel debljanje
cialis open cialis walgreen coupon
cialis open cialis walgreen coupon
lasix injetavel lasix efeitos colaterais lasix
motilium enceinte blog.cr-inside.org motilium et grossesse
motilium enceinte site motilium et grossesse
prescriptions coupons cialis coupon drug prescription card
trental cena trenitalia trental nuspojave

(published on 08/24/2009)

Follow-Up #2: particle settling data

Q:
In your most recent post you mentioned that it would be good to put some dye in the water and see what the water flow actually is. I tried it and I think I have at least part of the answer. I hydrated some of those plastic crystals that soak up huge amounts of water. Some times they're sold under the name of water jelly crystals. I put a fair amount of blue food coloring in the water the plastic soaked up. The hydrated plastic chunks became a very visible blue and they are only slightly more dense than water. I got a large bowl of water circulating by stirring vigorously. Then I dropped a couple pieces of the plastic in and what I saw was that the plastic pretty much stayed at the radius where it was inserted. I also saw that the water near the center was circulating much faster than the water farther from the center. This actually makes sense since the bowl is not moving and it is slowing the water down. This velocity distribution is not what you would get in a centrifuge where the outer wall is the faster part and follows the relationship that the velocity is proportional to distance from the center. In the water it is the reverse of this, but I don't know if it is a linear (or simple inverse) relationship or not. So the water in a circulating bowl or beaker is not like a centrifuge and thus does not show centrifugal behaviour. Lastly as the water speed became very slow the plastic pieces gradually moved down to the bottom of the bowl where they really slowed down. It looked like they were dragging on the bottom and then they moved toward the center where they continued to spin for a short while. Why they moved to center at the end I do not claim to fully understand, but I can clearly see that one cannot expect centrifugal behavior. It may be that near the bottom when the fluid is moving very slowly that the pressure in the center is slightly smaller because the water is still moving a litter faster there.
cheater click wifes who cheat
levitra pill go tadalafil pill
new prescription coupon areta.se prescription coupon card
lisinopril and bisoprolol lisinopriland.net lisinopril and bisoprolol
cialis dosage and go cialis dose for copd pts
cialis coupons from lilly click coupons for prescriptions
ibuprofen rapid ibuprofen spc ibuprofen
lasix injetavel lasix para emagrecer lasix
motilium enceinte motilium notice motilium et grossesse

- Kimball Clark
Gallipolis, OH USA
A:
Thanks for this careful and very well-reported set of observations. Now that you have this great set-up there may be some useful follow-ups.

I wonder what would happen to particles  added later, around when the ones along the bottom are gathering in the middle. Is something else flowing outward? Or is there just net inward flow as the raised rim of the top surface (caused by the spinning) settles down to level?

Mike W.
married woman looking to cheat My wife cheated on me most women cheat
types of abortions site what happens when you get an abortion
best android spy apps to spy on phones how to spy on an android phone
abortion pill clinics abortion pill prices for abortions
priligy 30mg click cialis 40mg
coupons rx prostudiousa.com www.januvia.com coupons
coupons rx open www.januvia.com coupons
prescription drugs discount cards link coupons for viagra printable
viagra coupon card free prescription cards discount viagra free coupon
coupons prescriptions prescription savings cards manufacturer coupons for prescription drugs
cialis coupon card read cialis coupons from manufacturer
voltaren ára go voltaren
voltaren ára voltaren duo voltaren
niacine movidafm.net niacin v hrani
sildenafil pfizer link sildenafil sandoz
voltaren retard voltaren forte voltaren spray
trental cena link trental nuspojave
vivitrol alcohol naltrexone alcoholism medication narcan challenge

(published on 09/13/2009)

Follow-Up #3: more tea

Q:
I found an article that quotes Einstein as answering this question. The article was written about storms and describing the pattern of of wind in cyclones, hurricanes etc. It talked about a boundary layer (a cylindrical layer) outside of which the motion is not centrifugal and inside this layer it is centrifugal. It described the motion of the sand (or in this article tea leaves) as the result of two competing effects: the centrifugal force outward and the Coriolis force inward. Inevitably as the water slows down the Coriolis force wins out and the sand (or tea leaves) move into the center.
cheater read wifes who cheat
hillcrest abortion clinic site live abortion video
discount card prescription go print cvs
imitrex 50mg site flagyl 200mg
online discount pharmacy viagra coupons and discounts coupon for prescription
1 wk pregnant d&c dilation and curettage article on abortion
can i take minocycline with birth control can i take minocycline with birth control can i take minocycline with birth control
naprosyn roche rileytech.net naprosyn nedir
champix alkohol mdwguide.com champix
fluvoxamine (luvox) open fluvoxamina bula
cialis open cialis walgreen coupon
voltaren retard voltaren pomada voltaren spray

- Kimball Clark
Gallipolis, OH
A:
I am not sure I follow the role of the Coriolis force here, probably just because I haven't thought enough about it.

Summarizing, I think this is the picture you've taught us:

Looking toward the top, the middle part is spinning, driving water out to the edges. However, near the edge, it's spinning less due to the walls, so the level there is too high. That leads to downward flow. The flow goes toward the bottom, where there's very little spinning at all. There, the pressure difference between the middle and edge drives flow in toward the middle. Of course the continuity of the flow then drives the circulation up in the middle. 

So sand or tea that makes it to the bottom is just dragged in toward the middle. Makes sense.

Mike W.
why people cheat infidelity signs how many people cheat
the best android phone link phone tracking apps
married men cheat with men open wifes cheat
married cheaters redsoctober.com dating for married men
levaquin pill diprolene 0.05% furosemide pill
finasteride zithromax cialis 80mg
free online coupons onlineseoanalyzer.com new prescription coupons
cialis dosage and cialis dose for copd pts
acheter viagra pas http://acheterviagraenfrance.com/pas acheter viagra pas
augmentin générique arbot.cz augmentin sirop
diflucan 150 diflucan djelovanje diflucan sirup
cialis cialis cialis walgreen coupon
allods online cwblog.centralworld.co.th allo allo
prescriptions coupons coupons for prescriptions drug prescription card

(published on 11/12/2010)

Follow-Up #4: Einstein and tea leaves

Q:
It appears that Einstein answered the question why tea leaves gather in the center of the cup, back in 1926, and The Physics Teacher Vol. 48, May 2010 revisits this answer and goes on to elaborate about pressure systems in the Atmosphere. The Title is "Einstein's Teas Leaves and Pressure Systems in the Atmosphere". Basically Einstein explained that the friction between the bottom of the cup and the water reduces the centrifugal force at the bottom. So the centrifugal force is larger at heights significantly higher. This causes water to flow towards the sides at the top which then flows down the sides and at the bottom of the cup it flows towards the center. A circulation loop. This circulation sweeps the material on the bottom into the center.
coupon for viagra open viagra discount coupons online
claritinekombo warpedfish.co.uk claritine za psa
voltaren ára house.raupes.net voltaren
proscar vs propecia for hair loss read proscar pris
seroquel 25 mg site seroquel debljanje
buscopan hund go buscopan dragees
amlodipine 5 mg amlodipine bijwerkingen amlodipine accord
singulair 4 mg granulat scottdangelo.com singulair patient information

- Kimball Clark (age 53)
Gallipolis, OH 45631
A:
Thanks, sorry we missed seeing this when it first came in.

It's been a very enlightening exchange.

Mike W.
best android spy open how to spy on an android phone
best android spy spy on mobile how to spy on an android phone
naproxennatrium click naproxen migraine
niacine movidafm.net niacin v hrani
flibanserin online flibanserin buy flibanserin buy
seroquel 25 mg click seroquel debljanje
cialis cialis cialis walgreen coupon
buscopan hund buscopan dosierung buscopan dragees
cefdinir red stool ski-club-auringen.de cefdinir nedir
trental cena link trental nuspojave

(published on 07/15/2010)

Follow-Up #5: particles settling in a bucket

Q:
When a circular vessel (containing water and insoluble particles of various sizes) is stirred the larger particles move towards the centre and settle there. Bigger particles are surrounded by smaller, with most of the finest at the perifery of the central deposit. One might expect centrifugal force to throw particles outwards towards the walls of the container, and that they should settle there instead of all 'gavitating' towards the centre.Something to do with the speed of the water passing the 'inner' and 'outer' surface of each particle, resulting in a spin which moves each particle further towards the centre perhaps? Larger particles would presumably experience a greater differential across their diameter and thus be more influenced by the effect?
buy sildenafil 100mg viagra without a doctor prescription viagra 100 mg
diabetes affect sexuality diabetes sexuality treatment
cialis coupon card eblogin.com cialis coupons from manufacturer
voltaren ára go voltaren
fusidinezuur kopen blog.jp-sa.org fusidic acid
flibanserin online lasertech.com flibanserin buy
how expensive is an abortion link abortion clinics dallas tx

- Brian Duckitt (age 73)
Durban, Natal, South Africa
A:
Brian- We've marked this as a follow-up to an old exchange. We haven't thought about what happens to particles of different sizes, but maybe this old series will get you started toward an answer.

Mike W.
internet drug coupons coupons for prescription medications prescription coupon
walgreens coupons deals site walgreens photo print coupons
free prescription cards go walgreens prints coupon codes
finasteride zithromax cialis 80mg
free online coupons pharmacy coupon new prescription coupons
free viagra samples coupon gallaghermalpractice.com viagra 2016 coupon
pfizer coupons for viagra free discount prescription cards viagra discounts coupons
prescription discount coupons softballspa.com viagra discount coupons online
manufacturer coupons for prescription drugs viagra coupons 2016 coupon prescription
lilly cialis coupon click coupons prescriptions
arcoxia 30 arcoxia 90 arcoxia wiki
fluvoxamine (luvox) blog.tgworkshop.net fluvoxamina bula
cialis open cialis walgreen coupon

(published on 12/19/2011)

Follow-Up #6: dirt swirls toward center

Q:
How come when we swirl water in the bathtub or the pool, all of the dirt goes to the center of the pool, yet when the washing machine spins, all the clothes fly to the outside? (Mama knew centrifugal force on the washing machine, but was stumped about the pool). Thanks for your help!
cheater read wifes who cheat
married men cheat with men women that cheat with married men wifes cheat
cvs discount card cvs coupon online prescription drugs discount cards
discount card prescription go print cvs
finasteride zithromax cialis 80mg
new prescription coupon discount drug coupons prescription coupon card
coupon for viagra viagra trial coupon viagra discount coupons online
lisinopril and bisoprolol lisinopril and bisoprolol lisinopril and bisoprolol
claritinekombo read claritine za psa
champix alkohol go champix
ibuprofen rapid ibuprofen spc ibuprofen
seroquel 25 mg click seroquel debljanje
cialis thepoliticalsword.com cialis walgreen coupon
cefdinir red stool cefdinir nedir cefdinir nedir
allods online go allo allo
cialis coupon card coupon prescription cialis coupon

- Nathanael (age 3.5)
West chester, oh, USA
A:
It happens we've had a great exchange on this very question. See above.

Mike W.
internet drug coupons site prescription coupon
types of abortions read what happens when you get an abortion
manufacturer coupons for prescription drugs viagra 2016 coupon coupon prescription
1 wk pregnant abortion pill article on abortion
coupons for prescriptions discount prescription coupons drug prescription card
cialis cialis cialis walgreen coupon

(published on 12/31/2012)

Follow-up on this answer.