Learn more physics!
when we take in the chemicals from miracle-gro are they good for us or can we become sick.
- rebecca ross (age 12)
I assume that you don't mean eating the fertilizer itself, but rather
putting it in the ground and then eating plants that grow from that
soil. Eating the fertilizer would be a very bad idea indeed. I've heard
that in some areas where a lot of fertilizer is used nitrate
contamination of the water supply can be a health problem. I've never
heard of any health problem from eating plants grown with moderate use
of ordinary fertilizers. The chemicals in the fertilizers (mostly
nitrates and phosphates) are the same ones present in fertile soils
anyway. Really you should check these hearsay answers with some serious
One common fertilizer component is ammonia, which is used in farms
around here, where they grow lots of corn and soybeans. Ammonia is a
natural byproduct of decaying plant and animal material, and is a
natural fertilizer, but I wouldn't eat anything with ammonia in it if I
could help it. Miracle-Gro may contain more gentle compounds, but I
still wouldn't put it in my mouth. I happily eat the veggies grown with
(republished on 07/18/06)
Follow-up on this answer.