The main ingredients in Jello are:
1) Water -- this is the biggest component.
2) Sugar -- it's sweet! Some gelatin desserts
are sugar-free and have substitutes like
aspartame in them.
3) Proteins -- these are what makes the jello
hold together. Long stringy molecules get tied
up in loose knots which also hold the water molecules
in and keep them from flowing freely. It's not so
stiff that it can't jiggle though.
4) Flavorings -- natural or artificial.
5) Colorings -- That bright green or red color!
6) Maybe a preservative or two to keep it from going bad when
stored for a long time in the cupboard. Also perhaps something to make
it flow easily, even when the humidity is high. Sugar gets stuck in
lumps if stored in a high humidity environment.
(republished on 07/13/06)